familylawexpert
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
75281287

I had a joint mortgage with my partner & he had an affair

I had a joint mortgage with my partner & he had an affair & asked me to leave I couldn't afford to stay & with all the mental abuse I left he gave me some money so I had to find a place for me & my son my son had a break down & is not working I was also off work for 3 monthes he now wants me to sign over the house to him I left last August can you tell me the best thing to do thanks
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage
How long had you lived together and how much did he give you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clair the house is worth £120,000 there is £69.000 to paye & he gave me £30,000 we lived there for 5 1/2 years to gether 16 years .
How did he raise the funds?
what else do you want from the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He had savings I don't no what I want what am I entitled to
Just to check - how old is your son?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
21
Do you want any of the contents?
If so what did you pay for from your own funds and what was purchased with joint funds?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You don't seem to be giving me advice just asking questions is there some else I can talk to please
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 3 years ago.

My name isXXXXX could give you an initial answer to your question, but Clare was right to ask you some further questions and I would expect to have to do the same. (Just like if you were sitting with a lawyer in a meeting to discuss the problem). Are you happy to proceed on that basis?

Regards,
Mac
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes ok
Okay.

My initial understanding on the basis of the information you have provided so far is that: the equity on the house was around £50k. He gave you a lump sum of around £30k. On one view, therefore, you have already received approximately half (or slightly more) of the value of the house. More information would be needed therefore to ascertain what more you might want / or realistically hope to achieve.

Was there an agreement reached between you at the time that he transferred £30k to you? If not, why did he transfer that sum?

Regards,
Mac
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Experience: Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.