13262538

How can I register a minute of agreement from Scotland in England

How can I register a minute of agreement from Scotland in England and what do I need to do to change the contact as I live too far apart from my ex and my son is only 2 years and 6 months old?
Why do you need to Register it - and where does your son live?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

my minute of agreement is registered in Scotland and i live now in Luton, England i have been told i need to register it in England otherwise it is not going to be enforced in England and want to change the contact as my ex lives in Leeds and i live in Luton it is too far for my 2 year old son to travel and explained it to my ex as well but he insists on every second weekend my son is constantly tired and even saying this to me. Please let me know what needs to be done.

Miruna

When did you move to Luton?
When was the Minute of Agreement made?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

the minute of agreement was signed in July 2013 when i was living in Cumbria and i moved with my job in January 2014 to Luton.

Does it need registering or not and how can the contact agreement be changed?

Miruna

There is no requirement for it to be Registered in England (and indeed no process by which it can be done)
Since the child is resident in England and has been for over six months it is English law which will determine future contact and residence arrangements.
If you believe that the current arrangements are no longer suitable then you need to try and discuss this with your ex using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk)
If that fails then you will have to apply to the court for a Defined Contact Order
More about applying to the court here
http://www.cafcass.gov.uk/media/168195/cb7-eng.pdf
i would suggest that you offer one weekend in three plus longer periods during holiday periods
However I will have to be honest and say that the court may well confirm the current order and simply expect you to do more of the travelling to facilitate the contact.
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

what you suggested i already did. He insists on keeping the contact as it is my problem is my son as the journey he has to do comes up to more than 3 hours as the motorway is unpredictable and last time even my son said to me he is exhausted and tired.I can't see how the court will make me keep the contact even though my son's welfare is affected by it.

Thank you for your advice i believe i will go for mediation and take it from there.

Regards,

Miruna