tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with 9 years experience of family law issues.
73598664

Hiya again! And really hope you can help me once more and as

Hiya again! And really hope you can help me once more and as always, can a person go onto a property land registry even though they are not on the mortgage to the property? Short and sweet this time for a change. Andy
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello. Thanks for your question.

tdlawyer :

Do you mean can somebody be on the legal title without being on the mortgage?

Customer: Sorry yes on the property title deeds
tdlawyer :

Okay. In short, no, you can't do this. The lender will always want both people on the mortgage.

tdlawyer :

And it takes both people to agree to place a mortgage on the land itself.

Customer: I may have a problem then, as currently I have a matrimonial home that is in my wife's sole name on the mortgage and title deeds but we are going through a very messy divorce, but I do have a land registry notice on the property preventing it from being sold as she has tried to do this twice already. A friend of mine is prepared to buy her out and also take a new mortgage out to release her from hers, but I already own another house that is mortgaged and have former matrimonial debts with 2 CCJ,s so I don't think the friends new mortgage lender would add me to his mortgage?
tdlawyer :

It's worth a try, as they have sufficient security already by the sounds of things, adding you is just increasing their security.

Customer: Ok many thanks for your help and excellent service as always, and will get back to you again if we do have any problems concerning this, and yes I still have about £35,000 equity in the property as it stands