13262538

Hi. Brief background: Man makes will dividing estate equally

Hi. Brief background: Man makes will dividing estate equally between 4 (3 children & his partner). He died. Partner died 2 1/2 months later. His executors are his solicitor & his son-in-law. Solicitor asking for full copy of partners will. Is this common practice?
Have you agreed to reject the Inheritance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No.
Sorry I am a little confused - if you have not agreed why has a copy of the partner's Will been requested at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No idea. They initially asked for proof of who her executors were & we supplied copy of first page of will which named us. Now the solicitor wants copy of whole will confirm that its valid. As it was made years before they'd even met, we just don't understand why/what reason they need it as no-one outside our family is mentioned. We feel that the contents are personal.
Are you intending to obtain Probate of the Will?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. Have the paperqork to complete, but not attempted to yet as seems very complicated.
When Probate is obtained then the Will becomes a Public Document and at that point the solicitors can be assured that you have the Authority to take this step (all the beneficiaries would have to agree.
Until then it is entirely up to you whether or not you are Willing to share a copy of the Will
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clare. Once probate is granted, can anyone have access to it, is there a cost implecation to see it or would it only be available to members of the legal profession? Thank you. Sally.
It becomes a Public Document and for £5 anyone can get a copy