familylawexpert
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
75281287

i am divorced and in the settlement we made it was said that

Customer Question

i am divorced and in the settlement we made it was said that when my son became 18 or left education which ever came first my payments for him would stop
my son is now 18 and at collage and the csa have said that they can over rule this agreement
i would just like to know is this true
thank you
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 3 years ago.

It is correct that the CSA can override a court order for child maintenance (after it has been in force for a year). They can impose a maintenance assessment upon you up until your son's 20th birthday for so long as he in full-time education (but only up to the end of A-Levels, not education beyond that level).

You can find out more, and also calculate your potential liability here:
https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance

I hope that is helpful. If you would like me to clarify anything, please ask. If not, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Regards,
Mac.

I notice that you haven't rated my original answer above, and so wondered whether there was any aspect of your question that I could help you with further?

Regards,
Mac