Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I bought a house for my parents to live in 20 years ago as

I bought a house for my parents to live in 20 years ago as they could not afford a mortgage.I do not live with them and have never lived in the house .My father has since died and my mother is aged .Does she have any claim to ownership of the property as part of her estate.I have brother and sister who have not contributed to the property or its upkeep.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

In whose name is XXXXX XXXXX registered please?

Joshua :

Do you have evidence that you purchased the property - e.g. financial records?

Customer:

The property is registered in my name and I am still paying the mortgage so I have proof of payment through the building society and my bank account .

Joshua :

Joshua :

On this basis your parents would not have any claim to ownership in respect of the property unless they could prove that they had made capital contributions towards the property.

Joshua :

If you paid for it and have been paying for the mortgage then on this basis the property would be absolutely yours and not form part of your parents estate unless you had granted any form of trust to your parents.

Customer:

Thank you ,I dont really have any concerns with my parents but I am concerned that brother may try to gain some entitlement when the time comes and just wanted to be sure that there wasn't any opportunity for him to do so.

Joshua :

Based on what you say there would be no basis for him to do so.

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?

Customer:

Much appreciated that helps put my mind at rest .Thank you for your help.

Joshua :

A pleasure