13262538

Dear Mr or Mrs I have been married to my husband for 8 months

Dear Mr or Mrs

I have been married to my husband for 8 months now. I would like to divorce him but I was told I cannot do that before one year passes since our wedding took place. Is that really true?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you
I am afraid that what you have been told is indeed correct
You have to have been married for at least a year before Divorce Proceedings can commence
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Clare

Thank you for your answer.

However, my case is a bit complex. I believe my husband used me to get his visa (he does not hold the visa yet). He also has not been sincere with the immigration solicitor. He expects me to lie for him to the Home Office. (I was not aware of many things regarding his status in the UK before the wedding). As I do not intend to do anything illegal (plus I am not happy with my husband in general) I would like an immediate divorce. Regarding all of the above, does is still hold that I cannot divorce him before one year of our marriage?

I am sorry but the position is absolute - there can be no divorce within the first year of marriage
You can however issue the divorce petition base don his Unreasonable Behaviour on your first Wedding Anniversary