13262538

My husband and I separated over three years ago, with a view

My husband and I separated over three years ago, with a view to him arranging a divorce after the 'two year' period, at his cost. This has never happened. We set up a personal 'Deed of Separation' using a Law Pack for guidance. I'd suggested that I would be happy to accept a mutually agreed 'settlement' from him with no comeback. This happened without a hitch. My question is - 'if either of us dies, without anything legal being in place, would the respective family be able to claim against our estates?'
My name is XXXXX XXXXX
have all the assets been divided and are there any children involved?
Is there any reason why you do not issue the Petition
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We are perfectly happy with the 'split' and personal arrangements in connection with the assets. No dependants involved (although we both have adult children with their own families).

I have not issued the petition as my estranged husband promised to see to this, as he was better financially placed.

In the event that one of you dies whilst still married then unless that person has made a Will the surviving spouse would receive the first £250,000 if the estate and a life interest in half of the remainder
If a Will has been made which makes no provision for the survivor then technically a claim could be made against the estate but the existence of the Separation agreement makes it unlikely that any such claim would be successful
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details