13262538

my separation agreement says I will pay child support while

my separation agreement says I will pay child support while the children are in full time education. my eldest is now 21 and about to start a masters course at univ having completed a degree at another univ. Would this be considered full time education and hence I should still pay ? Can I pay my child directly rather than through her mother ?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am ok to wait.

Thks

Roger

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

You refer to a Separation Agreement - was this ever turned into a formal Consent Order and sealed by the courts?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
The separation agreement was ratified by a court. Apols for taking so long to answer as I had to dig out the documents.
Regds Roger
What is the exact wording of the order on this point
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

4) The husband shall pay a periodical payments to the Wife for the benefit of each of the children at the rate of £750.00 per month.

a) Payments shall be made monthly in advance on the 1st of each month.

b)They shall commence on the 3rd of January 2008.

c)They shall end on the later of the children respectively

(i) reaching the age of eighteen; or

(ii) ceasing full-time tertiary education

There is then a further section re paying school fees up to a max of 15k£ per year. This does not mention univ. fees. It specifically says School fees. So I guess I don't have to pay Univ tuition fees ? At the end of this section it says.

" This order is made pursuant to the CSA 1991 section 8(7) as amended."

I can send you a scan of the full doc if it helps.

Regds

Roger

Technically it could be argued that a Masters Degree is still Tertiary education and that accordingly you will still have to pay - but I think it is highly unlikely that a Court will Order you to keep paying beyond a first Degree
However you can still make a direct arrangement with your child should you wish to do so
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will try to start paying directly.

Thks

Roger

personally I would suggest that you actively discuss with your daughter her finances and simply say that you are willing to help support her and then negotiate a new payment
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years