familylawexpert
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
75281287

Hi. Im applying for a divorce, my partner and I have been

Hi. I'm applying for a divorce, my partner and I have been separated for 2 years and we were married for 3 years. We don't have children. I went through a lot of emotional abuse such as him breaking tv's and plates when we argue, then he use to stop talking to me for 2/3 weeks after every argument. We split all financial expenditures throughout the entire marriage as we were both working but I also handled all house chores and maintained all bills. I'm not currently working and I am not entitled to legal aid as I don't have any evidence of domestic abuse. I also feel now that he only married me to achieve naturalisation in the UK as he had indefinite leave to remain before. After we separated I was forced to rent a storage to put all my items as there was no space at my parents home, I paid £120 a month for over a year. As I can't afford any solicitors at the moment my question is, is it worth me applying for a spousal maintenance of some kind for the damage caused??
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 3 years ago.

My name is Mac. I can help you with your question. First I need a bit more information:

- what did you each earn during the marriage?
- what does he earn now?
- why are you not working at the moment?

Regards,
Mac.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mac.

During the marriage I was on 23k and he was on 30k per annum.

He still has the same job so I'm assuming he earns the same.

After we separated I was having difficulty meeting targets at work and with the added pressure I decided to leave. I haven't been lucky with finding work since.

One last question: how long were you in a relationship together before you married?

.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not long, around 6months.

It is possible that you could have a very modest time-limited claim for maintenance. However such a maintenance claim would be limited to no more than a year (maximum), and also dependent upon you not finding any further work and the court believing that that was not a deliberate choice of yours. You will know better than anyone whether you really could get a job now, a Court would just have to make up its own mind.

Overall, I would suggest that a maintenance claim is not likely to be substantial and that you may consider that it is not a cost effective way of going forward.

.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advice Mac.