13262538

Financial implications of divorce?

Contemplating divorce (married less than two years) - wondering what the financial implications will be? Background: I still live in my parent's home, paying peppercorn rent, my wife stays over part of the week; I work full-time (slightly above minimum wage), my wife doesn't work (too lazy), we have no children. I own a car (given to me by my parents when they gave up driving) and have a small amount of capital. She's never contributed to any household expenses, I pay for everything - when/if we divorce is she entitled to any of my capital and/or would I have to pay spousal maintenance?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, no probs. Thanks.

What capital do you actually have and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thanks. I have approximately £30,000 worth of capital (my entire life savings) plus the car (8 years old so not worth much) and I earn £850/900 a mth depending on what hours are available; she refuses to work so earns nothing (I give her £50 a week spending money)

Where does she live when she is not with you?
How many nights a week does she spend with you on average
Are you willing to start divorce proceedings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She still has her own room at her parents' house. On average she stays overnight with them 4 nights, with me 3 nights. (I generally sleep on the sofa when she's with me.) Am nervous about applying for a divorce because I don't know what's involved, really don't know what to do. She wants to 'try again' but I can't seem to do anything right.

HI
Do you wish to remain married to her?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

TBH I didn't want to get married in the first place - but I really don't know what I want now other than not to lose half my money.

A two year relationship will not mean that yo lose half your savings.
It is possible that the court will grant her a small lump sum - say £5,000 at very most - but that is all.
Since she could work if she wished to and your earnings are modest there is no likelihood of ongoing maintenance
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years