13262538

Im awaiting my decree absolute from the court having a 50/50

Customer Question

I'm awaiting my decree absolute from the court having a 50/50 split of assets. (sale of house) with a clean break. We will be keeping our own pensions and the children are grown and independent. I am not asking for any support. It has taken 3 long years to sort out papers for divorce and I certainly had no intention to remarry at the start of procedures but just recently I have met someone who I care about and I think when my marriage ends, he will ask me to marry him. How soon after Im divorced can I remarry, baring in mind I did not state on my divorce papers that I may intend to marry again? Regards Sheila
Did you receive anything more than your half of the assets/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

£12,000 in premium bonds from his pension lump sum. He kept 2 life policies. One which matures Sept this year for about £10,000. He wanted to keep the other one and agreed to give me £10,000 more from sale of house so he could continue with this. That is all. Sheila

Sorry - did that amount to a basic 50/50 split or did you actually receive a larger share of the assets?
clare
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

on paper i will receive approx £6,000 more than him although he will be better off than me as his pension is more than twice mine.

In that case there is little reason to worry
You can marry whenever you wish once the Decree Absolute is through.
If you had received substantial extra capital in lieu of spouse maintenance or to ensure your future housing needs then your early re-marriage could have been a problem - abut as things stand you had a clear claim on your ex's pension whether or not you were about to remarry so even if your ex did object and say that you have married sooner than expected the agreement is NOT likely to be re-visited
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply, that makes me feel happier. If he did object what is the worst that could happen?

He could try and persuade the court that the Consent Order should be overturned - but frankly there is no chance he would succeed based on what you have told me
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to say 'thankyou' for your prompt reply. Regards Sheila

You are welcome I hope all goes well