13262538

Ive been married since 2007 and living with my wife in a council

I've been married since 2007 and living with my wife in a council property. I've also been paying council tax from that date. My name is XXXXX XXXXX the tenancy agreement but she would like it to be so we have a joint tenancy agreement. Can the council refuse this from happening?

Do you own any other property and have the council refused to add you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Clare,

We do not own any properties. I called the council to find out how my name can be added. They said the person who's name appears on the agreement must send a letter asking for myself to be named on the tenancy so we share the agreement. Once it's received they will then send information as to what needs to be done next and the. A decision will be made.

I thought I would get some advise because it seems that it's not so straight forward for a persons name to be added to the tenancy even if they have been living as man and wife for seven years.
It is simply a matter of due process - checking that you do not own property etc - and of course checking that this is what your wife wants!
It is unlikely that the council will refuse unless there is a history of your having run up rent arrears in previous council tenancies or been evicted for Anti Social Behaviour
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is the first council property from the borough. We have never been behind in rent and never had any issues with anti social behaviour. Do you think that they are likely to accept my wife's request and include me on the tenancy agreement?
Unless you have had other problems with other boroughs then there should be no problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the information provided. It's been helpful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I forgot to ask. Although there are no issues in any other boroughs or anything negative, if they do decide not to include me on the tenancy, what might be my options?
They will have to provide a good reason for any refusal - and you can appeal it - they will explain the process in the unlikely event that it is necessary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm very grateful for your time and the information you have provided.
Thank you so much. Have a great weekend.

Paul