13262538

I want to change my childs surname to my married name, but

I want to change my childs surname to my married name, but biological father will not consent. However on the birth certificate my son took my name not biological fathers surname? His date of birth is 2004? Thanks
What contact does the child have with his father?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No contact since 16 months old, no Christmas or birthday cards. I am thinking why would I need his consent if my son never took his name on the birth certificate?

Is the father named on the Birth Certificate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes

Did the father give a reason for the refusal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not really, I think he was being awkward

my son does not remember his biological father and regards XXXXX XXXXX as his Dad!

I am afraid that the law on this point is very clear
In order to change the name of the child all people with Parental Responsibility must Consent or there must be an Order from the Court
If the father will not agree then your only option is to apply to the court.
Whilst usually I would not be hopeful in this case there is a reasonable chance of success
This is because the child does not currently have his father's name; there is no contact and I assume it is what the child himself wants
If you do need to apply it would be sensible to also seek a Step Parental Responsibility Order for your husband at the same time
Before making the Court application you should try and discuss matters with your ex using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk)
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. My son does not know what we are trying to do as he is 9years old. He just wants the same surname as his sister. I just want to get it straight in my head, that although he never took his fathers name on birth certificate and has no contact with his bio father, I can't change his name unless I apply to court? would his biological father have to be informed, or have a right to appeal?

Yes I am afraid that that is correct - and yes his father will have to be told about the application and will have the right to oppose it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would my son need to know what was going on? I obviously feel very protective of him! Will this change the reasonable chance in court?

One of your strongest arguments is that this is what your son wants - but if you do not wish to involve him you do not need to do so
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will this alter chance in court, for or against? My son is happy with my husband who he calls Dad!

He does know the real position doesn't he?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He can't remember his biological Dad, and has grown up with my new husband who he calls dad. At present he knows nothing else.

For clarity - he does NOT know that his Dad is not his biological father?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that's correct at present.

Then I would suggest if you do not wish him to be aware of the true situation you leave matters well alone.
If you apply to the Court then you will have to speak to CAFCASS and it is very likely that the court will insist that the child is told the truth about his parentage