13262538

I am in the process of getting divorced. I am the respondent,

I am in the process of getting divorced. I am the respondent, I have seen some report from the law commission about changes they propose published in Feb of 2014. The have to do with the use of pre nups and also the calculating the length of time for spousal maintenance and how much etc. My question is how long does it usually take for these proposals to become law that they would actually use and if they do become law would they act retrospective as in if I was given life spousal maintenance under current family law and I asked for a review in say 10 years time would the new laws apply as one of the proposals states that the maximum length of spousal maintenance should be 10 years.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you
There is no way of knowing even IF these proposals will become law - let alone how long it will take for them to do so - or which parts of the Report will make it into legislation.
Equally there is no way of knowing if they will be retrospective or not
In balance probably not - HOWEVER if there is a change in the law on Spouse maintenance then it is inevitable that this will be reflected in any application for a variation of spouse maintenance that is made in the future
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details