13262538

My husband and I have separated after 36 years of marriage.

My husband and I have separated after 36 years of marriage. We intend to sell the house and need to settle finances too. Most of our bank accounts are in joint names but he has investments in his name - we have always put the dividends into joint money and I am hopeful that I am entitled to half the value of these. Am I also entitled to half his pension as he has far more than I have in my pension and these are currently shared from joint accounts. I was advised by a divorce lawyer friend that after such a long marriage, everything would be split 50/50. Would I need to see a financial advisor or solicitor to make this legal - thank you for any advice. Also, should we see an independent financial advisor?

Were any of his assets inherited?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing was inherited but he bought these investments before I met him - we did not meet until he was forty - he is in his mid seventies and I am nearly seventy. He always said they were for a rainy day and perhaps for health care as we got older - they are worth about £60,000 he has found out lately as I asked him to check the value.

What is the extent of the assets in total (round figures)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Total assets would be about £700,000 max

In that case the starting point for division of all the assets (including pensions) is 50/50 and it is highly unlikely that the Family Court will depart far from that.
You will need a Pension Sharing Order to deal with the Pension
If you and your ex can agree the terms of the separation then you would need to instruct a solicitor to deal with the divorce and the Financial Consent Order
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details