How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34105
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

What is the quickest method of filing for divorce and how long

Customer Question

What is the quickest method of filing for divorce and how long does the process usually take?
Thank for your very helpful answer to my previous question.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you been separated and does your ex agree with there being a Divorce?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My current situation is that I remain in the family home until my son finishes his A levels.

I have suffered emotional abuse for years but need to keep the world steady for my son.

In June that will be over and I can leave.

For obvious reasons, divorce has not yet been mentioned.

The crisis point came about a month ago when she hit me. I really don't have to put up with it any longer.

Thank you. Peter

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Will your ex willing to agree to a Divorce?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At this point I have no idea.

She knows hitting me was a big mistake. She has stopped giving me a hard time when I have work meetings in the evening.


This is making me quite angry because everything I have done for years has been accompanied by trying to make me feel guilty and effectively has ruined it.

My boys are soon 18 and 21. Every game of golf (which were rare) was accompanied by a guilt trip and effectively spoiled. Those times could have been special.

In short, I'll have lots of happy times to come with the boys but I'm not wasting any more of my life (I'm 54) with someone who told me that she doesn't like me to enjoy myself.


Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
You can issue a Petition based on her Unreasonable Behaviour
The process is described here
On average it takes between five and eight month to administratively end the marriage although the financial arguments often take longer
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much Clare.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
You are most welcome I hope all goes well

Related Family Law Questions