13262538

I have been married 6 years, my wife left nearly a year ago.

Customer Question

I have been married 6 years, my wife left nearly a year ago. If I get a divorce will she be entitled to anything. She has here own rented property which she has maintained prior to the marriage. I only have my business in the UK which is small. I rent a property as well. I paid all her debts off when we got married which amounted to around £16K. Other than that I have taken nothing from her and asked for nothing.
Rgds John
What is the value of any assets either of you have here or abroad?
What income do you each have?
Are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

There are no children involved. I have a property in France that I had long before I met my wife and for which she has not contributed in a financial way in any manner. I take a salary of 25 K from my business and my wife earns 15 K.

Rgds John

How much is the French property worth?
how much is the business worth?
How long were you actually living together?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The property is worth around £250000. The business in the current economic situation not a lot. May get around £100000.00.

We lived together for about 8 years, married in June 2007 and went our own way in August 2013.

My wife always maintained her own house which her son lives in and to which she has now returned.

As I said she put nothing into the marriage in terms of funding, I even paid her debts which were around £16K as I remember when we first married, I was not aware she had the debts until money matters arose. I had everything I have now prior to meeting her, the house the business etc.

Rgds John

I do understand that she paid nothing - but sadly that does not necessarily protect you
How much is her house worth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a sad indictment on our legal system that permits this sort of practice to exist and continue.

She rents the property and has done so for a long while.

It saddens me that she was the one that wanted to marry me and would not let the matter drop until I had agreed, not the other way round and now I must suffer the consequences.

Rgds John

How much would a one bedroom property in the area where she lives cost to buy (this is a comparison exercise)