13262538

Hi, I wonder if you can help me. My husband wants to divorce

Hi, I wonder if you can help me. My husband wants to divorce me on the grounds of my unreasonable behaviour, I don't agree with this and last week found out he is having an affair, at first I told my solicitor I will not agree to a divorce but she talked me out of doing this as she said it would be best for me in the long run to let him divorce me now.
However I am now thinking that I may be able to claim on his future inheritance if I stall a divorce.
We have been married 17 years and together for 24. His father has a small farm and is 85 years old and in poor health. My husband has a brother and will inherit half the farm along with my husband, we don't have any children and I haven't worked for the last 2 years due to I'll health but I do look after his father as we live on the farm.
My husband has been very controlling over the years and has expected me to dress in clothes which I have not felt comfortable in, he wanted me to be somebody I'm not and basically dress like a tart! Which I have not wanted to do but have as I was scared of losing him! I know this sounds pathetic and it probably is.
After having a hysterectomy two years ago I have put on a lot of weight and have lost any libido I had which has not helped matters. I know this sounds calculating but I have to think of myself for a change.
Many thanks for your time.
Sue
have you actually separated yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello, we have separated but we both still live in the same house.

HI
What assets are there and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have a mortgage which has £22k owed and various items of farm machinery valued at around £30k.
He works full time and brings home around £20k per year, I don't have an income at present, I took voluntary redundancy 2years ago due to I'll health and I don't receive any benefits as he works full time.

Sue
What is the value of the property in which you have the mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was valued at £225k in December 14
How much does a one bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
roughly 125k
Does your husband work on the farm, - how much is the farm worth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My husband does some hay work for himself, he grows,cuts and bales the hay to sell. But his main job is for another employer outside driving lorries and plant machinery.
Has your husband sent a draft petition for consideration?
Will you be able to return to work in the future?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I think he has, my solicitor is waithing to see it and there isn't much chance of me returning to work in the future as my health is getting worse.

The simple fact is that if your husband is determined to divorce you then unless you are throwing thousands of pounds into defending it then I am afraid it is going to happen.
However if you feel very strongly about this then you could offer to divorce your ex based on his adultery provided he pays your costs
So far as his possible inheritance is concerned even waiting will not gain you a share of it since you are already separated and there are amply assets held jointly to allow for your reasonable needs to be met.
Having said that your illness means that you are likely to receive a larger share of the joint assets in any event
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details