James Mather
James Mather,
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

My husband is from Canada, we married less than 3 years ago.

Customer Question

My husband is from Canada, we married less than 3 years ago. Since we have been together he has not been able to hold a steady job. I own the property we live in and it is in my name. My father leant me money to purchase the property and we have a written agreement between us that I must pay my father back should I sell the house. I can also prove that in the last 4 years my husband has not contributed to the mortgage or the bills. In addition to this, my husband has a drug related problem. He smokes cannabis, every day, at least 2-3 times. It has got to the stage where I am financially supporting my husband and he uses my money to pay for his drug use. I am worried and do not feel comfortable in my own home. I want to know if he has any rights to my property and if I were to ask him to leave, if this would have an affect on a divorce later down the road?
How long have you actually lived together?
how much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets are there and what income do you each have?