How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kasare Your Own Question
Kasare, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 204
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Kasare is online now

My husband is from Canada, we married less than 3 years ago.

Customer Question

My husband is from Canada, we married less than 3 years ago. Since we have been together he has not been able to hold a steady job. I own the property we live in and it is in my name. My father leant me money to purchase the property and we have a written agreement between us that I must pay my father back should I sell the house. I can also prove that in the last 4 years my husband has not contributed to the mortgage or the bills. In addition to this, my husband has a drug related problem. He smokes cannabis, every day, at least 2-3 times. It has got to the stage where I am financially supporting my husband and he uses my money to pay for his drug use. I am worried and do not feel comfortable in my own home. I want to know if he has any rights to my property and if I were to ask him to leave, if this would have an affect on a divorce later down the road?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you actually lived together?
how much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets are there and what income do you each have?