13262538

I have recently split from my abusive, controling wife of 12

Customer Question

I have recently split from my abusive, controling wife of 12 years, I have 3 children with her and she has a son who is Downs who I have brought up from 5 months old. I am allowed to see them every Saturday 1000 - 1600, if her moods allows (all 4 of them) I have just sorted out my new accommodation, all 4 children came over yesterday and stayed the night, I took them back to their mum this afternoon and she asked me for a letter to say I was giving up my part of the joint tenacy where they live, I explained that I would when I had got all of my property out of the house, which she knew was arranged for later next week when I have the use of a van, she ranted and raved at me and told me I was not having/seeing the children again. This is about the 10th time since we split up that she has done this to me, i have told her that she is using them as weapon to get at me. I can't see the threats ever stopping so I need to get some sort of agreement in place to stop this happening. Also my 7 yearold daughter has told me how unhappy she is at home because of my wifes behaviour and wants to come and live with me, but is too frightened to tell her mum, how can I help her and solve the problem of access?
How old are the children - and just to check the former home is rented?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ages 8, 7, 3 years old. the child that is not mine is 13 years old. The house is a rented local authority house and is a joint tenacy between my wife and myself.

The law says that children are entitled to contact with BOTH parents and the courts will enforce this of necessary
Given the close relationship between you and the eldest child there is no doubt that the court will feel that it is in the best interests of the child for him to continue to have contact with you.
You should try and discuss matters with your ex using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk) to agree a Parenting Plan - but if this is not successful then you will need to apply to the court for a Formal Order which you will be able to enforce if need be
You can find more on these websites
http://theparentconnection.org.uk/
http://www.familylaw.co.uk/system/uploads/attachments/0000/2078/CB1_1108.pdf
Please ask if you need further details