13262538

My mother has Dementia & recently went into a care home.

My mother has Dementia & recently went into a care home. I have 2 brothers & 2 sisters who all live overseas. Therefore, I am the one who has been primary carer for the past 5yrs. My mother has a house, money jewellery & possessions. I am listed as her next of kin, her appointee for her Pension (DWP) & Executor of her Will. Unfortunately, I do not have a Power of Attorney. One of my sisters is arriving from overseas tomorrow demanding her house keys, Bank cards, statements, House Deeds & Will. From past experience with some of my siblings they have only shown interest in my mother where money is concerned. I have no doubt what so ever that if I give my sister the house keys she will take anything of any value. Please could you advise me as to any rights (if any) I may have with protecting my mothers property. Everything in her Will is to be divided equally when she dies. As I keep trying to tell my sister, my mother is not dead yet. Thank you Fiona XXXXXX

is it feasible to move the more valuable items to a safe place - either in the house or elsewhere?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is nowhere safe in her house. If I move the valuables elsewhere then I will look like I have taken them for myself.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I paid for more than a just a two line answer
My apologies for the delay in actually answering the question
Your sister has no right to demand to see these papers - or to remove anything from the property.
Indeed she has no right to enter the property without your mothers agreement - but then neither do you although you can argue that your mother gave you such permission when she named you as her career
I suggest that you photograph the house as it is now so that you have evidence if she does remove anything
You are entitled to refuse to give her the key.
In the long term you need to apply to be appointed as your mother's Deputy so that you do have the right to deal with all her finances
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details