13262538

i am currently taking my husband to court for my share of our

i am currently taking my husband to court for my share of our family home as he is reluctant part with any money and wondered am i entitled to 50% of my husbands assets if he inherited them from a will or was given them when we were together in our marriage?
How long were you living together and are there any children involved?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage and what other assets are there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we have been together for 24 years and there are two children, my house is worth approx 375,000 we have 20,000 left on the mortgage and there are other assets too like shares, cars and antiques/paintings.

How much are the other assets worth and how old are the children?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its hard to say but the children are grown up

Best guess on the value of the other assets
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i would say about 100,00 but it is hard to define unless everything gets valued!

What assets did your husband inherit?
How much does a one bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

there are no one bedroomed properties in our area…i own a smallholding with 13 acres. and shares and a collection of artwork

Is this separate to the assets that you have already told me about?
If so what is the value of the assets that you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i don't have anything…i had to leave everything behind when i left, so what i have told you about is everything we had together.

For clarity Is the small holding also the Former Matrimonial Home?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes..it is the former matrimonial home,

Thank you I was a little uncertain
Where is your ex currently living?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

in the family home

I see
How much did your husband inherit and when?
Who is caring for the small holding at the moment and how much would you need for another home in the same general area - a one or two bedroomed property
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its a rural area so i would guess about £180,000 and my husband inherited money about 10 years ago and again in the last 3 years.

How much did he inherit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

about 20,000 and then about 80,000

Was it invested in the home?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no. in shares in his name

How much will you need to rehouse yourself
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i would say £200,000 max

The starting point given the length of your marriage is that all the assets are divided 50/50
The assets that he inherited would be treated differently if there were sufficient other assets to ensure your housing needs with out touching them - but in your case this is not possible so they will indeed be counted as part of the assets
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years