13262538

My wife and I, made a joint decision 3 years ago, when we had

My wife and I, made a joint decision 3 years ago, when we had our second child that I would give up my managers job, to be our children's full time carer, and work part time. She became our families main income.
Nine months ago, she left our family home, and rents a flat, but is still paying the mortgage on our house.she now says that, she can't afford to pay for her rent and the mortgage on the house that my two children and I live in. She has said to me, that I either pay half the mortgage, move out and live with my mum in a two bedroom static home and, she moves back in the house or, we sell the house. Because of looking after our children, who are 6 and 2 years old, I can't afford to pay half the mortgage at the present time. My mums static home is not big enough for me to move in with my two children. If we sell the house, I will have know where to live and do not earn enough money to rent. Can you please tell me my rights, and how much I should be contributing to the mortgage?
Thank you for any help you can give me.

Mark wade
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other capital assets are there and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clare,

I don't have exact figures but, the house is approximately worth £170,000. Owing on our mortgage is approximately £146,000. My end of year p60 was £7500. My wife earns approximately £32,000 a year.
What benefits have you applied for and what is the monthly mortgage payment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I receive family and child tax credit. The mortgage is £700 per month.
What is your ex's net monthly income?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good morning,
My ex's monthly income is approximately £2300. She also gets a bonus but, I don't know how much that is.
How often does she have the children overnight?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has them Monday and Tuesday nights, Saturday and every other Thursday. I have them the rest of the time, and during the day on the nights that she has them. I also take my eldest to school every day and, look after my 2 year old every day.
So three nights one week four nights the next?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, yes. Three nights one week and four the next. This only started happening two weeks ago. Before then, I had them four nights every week, and also if they were ill, she would bring them to my house.
Are the children happy with this pattern?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it is now what they are used to.
I meant the new pattern?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, they seem ok with it, but kids are very good at hiding how they feel. My eldest said to me, since my wife has been seeing another man, that he only wants one mummy and one daddy. it's not ideal, having a day hear and a day there.
Who cares for the youngest child while your ex is at work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I do. I look after my youngest, and take my eldest to school and pick him up, every day.
So when she has them overnight what actually happens?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They stay with me Sunday night, and I take my 6 year old to school, and look after my 2 year old in the day ( I do this every week day mon to fri). When I pick up my eldest from school, I take them to my mother in laws, so I can go to work. My ex picks them up at 6 once they have had there dinner, and takes them back to her flat for the night. She then brings them back to me at 7:30am so I can give them breakfast and get ready to take my eldest to school.the excact same happens on Tuesday night. On a Saturday she picks them up from me roughly about 11am, depending on if she has something to do first( i.e shopping, hair dressers etc). She has them until 3pm Sunday, when I finish work and, they come home with me.
What are your working hours?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi,at the moment I work 3 days per week. Monday 3:30pm until roughly 11pm and the same on a Tuesday. On Sundays I work 8am until 3pm.
So her having the children those nights works for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, yes, it works for me.
The problem is that financially it is also very convenient for her
Since over a fortnight you each have the children seven nights a week she does not have to pay you any child maintenance
However the difference in your incomes means that you can make a valid claim for spouse maintenance - but that is unlikely to be enough to cover the whole mortgage - and she does not have to pay the mortgage at all if she does not live there
Having said that without you your ex would have very substantial child care costs so it would be sensible to try and negotiate matters with her using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk) so that you can look at all the options.
Whilst your ex will struggle to force a sale of the property - it is far from certain than your ex can be forced to pay the mortgage
Please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years