13262538

Hi Clare, my ex girlfriend is pregnant and tells me she is

Hi Clare, my ex girlfriend is pregnant and tells me she is going ahead and keeping the baby. I told her at the start of our relationship that I didn't want anymore children and she originally agreed the same. It was a shock when she told me she wants to keep it but I know it's her right to do so. I have told her that I do not wish to be involved with the child or her. I am not in a position to start a new family. She told me if I didn't want anything to do with the baby then I wouldn't be down on the birth certificate and therefore won't have parental rights and wouldn't pay maintenance . This I have agreed too. I just wondered how do I stand with this agreement please? Tom
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you
If you are not named on the birth certificate you certainly will not have Parental Responsibility.
Equally you cannot be forced to see the child if you do not wish to do so
However I am afraid that you are liable to maintain the child if the child is indeed biologically yours whether or not you are named on the Birth Certificate
I am sorry to give you bad news - please ask if you need further details