13262538

I separated from my wife in June of last year. I moved out

Customer Question

I separated from my wife in June of last year. I moved out of the family home in August (which is jointly owned with a mortgage outstanding.) I am currently paying all of the bills, mortgage etc as well as paying costs for my 19 year old son at University and £100 per week for my 17 year old daughter. This arrangement will continue until my daughter goes to University in September. A separation agreement was drawn up at the time. I will pay costs for my daughter at University also. My Wife makes no financial contribution to anything at the moment.

My wife and I agreed to park the larger financial issues until after my daughter's place at University was confirmed, this will be in August.

I have subsequently met someone else and I was considering co-habiting with this person when my daughter does leave home for University. Will this have an adverse effect on any settlement - my Wife works and has a comfortable income, as do I.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

House worth 725k mortgage 350k I earn around £150k and my Wife £50k

Does your new partner have her own property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes she does. Value around £500k with small mortgage

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare, I need to head off for a meeting now. I look forward to your response, many thanks. Paul

The only effect that it will have is to make your wife's housing needs more important than yours since you are already safely housed - but frankly it will not make a great difference overall
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Clare, many thanks for the response and I am sorry I did not get back online yesterday. I am assuming that the children are considered 'safely housed' at University and that there is no need to maintain a 6 bedroom house for my Wife - what does 'safely housed mean for her.' Many thanks,

Since they are over 18 their housing needs are not relevant
Your wife will need a house which she owns - so a one bedroom or two bedroom property at most