Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I am in two minds as to how to divorce. Do I wait two years

Customer Question

I am in two minds as to how to divorce. Do I wait two years and go for a no fault divorce or divorce now even though assets are relatively simple on both sides and he can not actively manage to dissipate funds as he is a Paid employee of a large firm. If we agree the financial split of assets between us can we then have it drafted as a legal document and then this has to be adhered to by both parties? Are there any downfalls to this way of doing things?
i will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you lived together and are there any children involved?
Do either of you have new partners?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have been married just under 20 years. He has a new partner. We have three kids together.
how old are the children - and an obvious question I know - but do you actually wish to end the marriage sooner rather than later or vice versa
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have been advised by my lawyer to not wait two years as he could dissipate funds. However because he is a paid employee I don't see how he can get rid of cash? I don't want to rock the boat but he has told me he needs me to sell our biggest asset our house. We have a big mortgage on it and I know I can pay it if he pays my maintenance. The only problem is if the mortgage company will allow that.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage - what other savings and debts are there?
What income do you each have?