Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I have been living with my partner for 30 years. It is her

I have been living with my partner for 30 years. It is her house and I have no financial interest in it. Her son, who is 46 years of age, has been living with us for the last 5 years and he and I are not getting on. I am not a beneficiary in her will and if she dies before me I will have nowhere to live (we are both in our 70s). If I am made to leave for whatever reason would I have a claim for compensation as I have obviously contributed financially to the upkeep and maintenance of the property.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I ask do you think your partner would be willing in principle to consider making some provision for you in her will or is she not open to the idea at all?

Joshua :

Have you made any capital contribution to the property or have you only contributed towards outgoings and maintenance?

Customer:

My partner has willed her estate to her two sons and will not deviate from this. I have paid for improvements to the property to the value of roughly £8,000. I must mention that her son is making life difficult for both of us because of his excessive drinking.