13262538

Would courts force house sale

Hi, I was in an abusive relationship for 13 years we cohabitated in a house we bought in joint names and have two children. I remained in the property and he left three years ago and currently rents a large flat in a sought after location. He continues to pay half the mortgage and on previous occasions in front of his children threatened to force the sale of the house to get his share of the equity, after which he assured the children he would never do that. He earns 50K per annum. I look after the children, and work 16 hrs per week he gives me maintenance for the children and I get tax credits. Due to his unpredictable behaviour the children have refused to stay overnight in the property and contact has reduced considerable eldest sees him 3hrs per week youngest 10hrs that is if they will go! He has sent a solicitors letter threatening to take me to court (and have me pay his costs 15 - 20K) unless I pay him 35k to buy him out, despite the fact that I have been diagnosed with Chronic Kidney disease, with a growth on my left kidney and am awaiting results of an MRI scan. Would the courts force the sale of the house despite concerns over the welfare of the children. Any advice appreciated thanks

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
How old are the children?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

The terrace house was recently valued by three different estate agents, one for 125k and the other two for £130, the mortgage has 37k outstanding. The children are 13 and 8 years old.

Maria

Just to check - you are not married?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Also have an email from 2009 in which he states maybe we should get a further advance on the mortgage to get another car, do up the house, an get married!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is he paying anything other than half the mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Child maintenance of £600 per month. I have continued to pay the buildings insurance on the property.

I also had a DPC done in 2012 which cost £1200 he has refused to give me anything towards it. Despite the fact that while he lived here he was fully aware of the damp issues and even tiled over it in the kitchen to prevent it showing up on surveys as we were trying to sell it at the time.

How much does he earn?
Could you manage of he was not still paying half the mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He earns 48k plus expenses and has private health care as part of his package. I could afford to take over the existing mortgage of37k, however I feel that taking out another mortgage of 35k to pay him off plus the repairs that need doing on the property 15 - 20k would cause me to struggle, plus my health issues I mentioned in my early post could remain stable however they could also deteriorate leading me to need dialysis or even a kidney transplant it is an unknown.

Under Schedule 1 of the Children Act your ex i sunder a duty to help you house the children until they are 18.
If necessary you can apply to the court for an order allowing you to remain where you are until then and your ex is not going to be able to force a sale before then unless you cohabit in the mean time
Clearly that does leave you with a potential problem in ten years time - but you are certainly safe for the moment
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Clare,

Many thanks for your help, its very much appreciated!

Maria

You are most welcome I hope all goes well