Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

Paid the mortgage house in joint names pending divorce proceedings

Customer Question

Paid the mortgage house in joint names pending divorce proceedings been told money is to be split between us both he has run up debts which i have paid how do i retrieve my money
Could you explain a little more about the background to the question please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We had the house in joint names, he paid house hold bills (but I have since learned he has not been doing this) and I paid the mortgage which I have done.

We have sold the house, cost of solicitor, estate agent etc I paid. Because house is in joint names he is entitled to half the proceeds that are over.

However, I have been held responsible for his debts with the bank as they have been unable to contact him.

I also had an account at another bank in my married name only, which when I left he received the new card and obtained the pin number emptying the account and running up an overdraft. This I have also cleared.

I just want to know during my divorcee proceedings can I hold him responsible for the debts that I have paid on his behalf.

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What debts are you responsible for?