13262538

My husband left on trial seperation basis a few years ago and

My husband left on trial seperation basis a few years ago and is now living in Thailand with another woman. He is Canadian, I am from Northern Ireland where we had been living. We got married in Canada? I have no contact address for him ? How do I seek divorce and am I entitled to any settlement
How long have you been back in NI and what assets and debts are there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We lived in Canada from 1991-2001 we bought a piece of land before leaving which my husband transferred soley to his name about 5yrs ago; I own a house with mortgage in my name solely; he works in Saudi Arabia in very high earning job; there are no debts other than 40k approx remaining on mortgage.

We had RRSP separately with each other being benefactor. I am not sure if Gordon still has his-approx value of mine 40k (canadian) -his was probably similar

Let me know if you require anything else

Deborah

How much are the assets worth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In terms of assets Clare what do you refer to or include? His annual salary is in excess of 120k (US)-my home valued at approx 160k (UK)-Canadian property probably in region of 130k (can dollar) and investment as mentioned

How long have you been separated and do you wish to make any financial claim on him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have been separated for two years and yes I feel I am entitled to some claim.

How much is the Canadian property worth in pounds?
Hoe long have you lived together?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am unsure of Canadian exchange but can check further-we married on 21 May 1994 so would have been together 20yrs this year-so I guess 18yrs

Is he paying you any maintenance at the moment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No Clare-sadly I haven't heard for him for several months now. We had furniture in storage in Canada and I asked him to arrange for that to be shipped over as I couldn't afford it but as mentioned initially only contact I have for him is email and he did not reply.

We separated sadly but in good terms hoping someday there could be reconciliation so it is sad not to have any communication with him.

Things like our wills etc all need sorted and policies where naturally we are stated as each other's benefactor.

When he first left on few occasions when he would ring monthly or so he would transfer some money to my bank to help with car insurance. He is not a bad guy just think obviously with his new life and lady in Thailand I no longer factor in his thinking.

Deborah

Are the two properties basically worth much the same or not?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am unsure of value of land now but imagine yes it is of similar value to my house.

So properties are much the same as are investments - the only major difference is your incomes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes that is more or less the case

Deborah

Sorry - I realise I have missed pensions - what pension provision do you each have (to the best of your knowledge)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am unsure of Gordon's-only to know he has had a generous pension since joining Saudi Aramco in 1997. I recently finished a job I had been in for 12 yrs and have pension of 42k (euro); I am now in new job also with pension since March.

I am afraid I have no value on Gordon's other than that it was generous.

Deborah

Do you know where he was last living - or do you have details of his employment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is living in Hua Hin-in Thailand. I understand he has either bought or is renting a house there, with his new partner but I do not have an address.

I have his work address in Saudi Arabia if that is useful-his employer is Nabors Industries Inc. , of which Pool Arabia Co. Ltd is a joint venture company with Nabors Drilling International Ltd (Houston,USA) . He has been with them not since 1997 but 2000; their address is Pool Arabia Ltd, PO Box 2862m AL-KHOBAR 31952 SAUDI ARABIA (966 3)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

The last pay stub I can see is from 2008 period 8/25/2008 to 9/7/2008 and it was for $7399.68 (US)

I came across one pension/investment plan valued at $16,000 canadian (valid June 2013); and his current employer one at 2005 was valued at $28,234 (can); I have nothing more recent on that one.

I am afraid that is all the information I have to hand

Deborah

Just to check - he still lives in Saudi Arabia for work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes he works in Saudi Arabia for 5 weeks then has 5 weeks off when he goes back to Thailand

So he would be reasonably easy to serve in Saudi (there are agents there)
How long have you actually been apart?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have been apart 3 years

Are you willing to wait a little longer for a divorce or is it important to act now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can wait; it's the limbo which is disconcerting. Is there a preferred timeframe?

I am simply thinking of your easiest option so that you can save the arguments for the finances.
Once you have lived part for five years you can issue a Petition n that ground without your ex being able to defend it.
You will have to arrange for him to be personally served on him so that you can prove he has seen it - but this is simply an added step rather than a major problem
Once the decree nisi is listed you can apply to the courts for the financial issues to be dealt with.
This will not be simple given the geographical problems and the need to obtain information
You do appear to be well balanced on capital but the difference in your incomes may mean that a lump sum may be payable to you
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years