13262538

My son finishes college at the may half term and then goes

My son finishes college at the may half term and then goes back until the sixth of june for a one week assessment. I pay child maintenance on the first of the month which I pay in advance. Do I pay until the end of May, the end of June or do I perhaps pay one week to cover until the sixth of June.

I am due to pay until he finishes full time education which is thesixth of june.

As I pay in advance if I pay at the end of May this will take me to the end of June.

My son works most of the days he is not a college and will work more hours where he currently works from the moment he leaves college. He will be working full time while he looks for other work as he sees fit.

He is currently at college on wed, thur and friday and works the other days..  When he is working he stays with me as it is closer to his work. He has been staying most school holidays for the last year and most weekends from sat to monday.  I have not reduced my payments at these times even though there have been some weeks he has been with me longer than with his mother.

when my daughters finished school I paid for an extra few months while they found work. This is not needed with my son as he has a job already. He is aware that my payments are about to stop and that he may have to start paying housekeeping at his mums.

It seems to me that paying until the end of may seems fair or the first week of June bearing in mind the fact that he has spent a lot of time with me that I have continued to contribute at his mums for.

I do not want to just stop at the end of may and find myself in trouble for missing six days in june.

Hope this makes sense.

How old is your son?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello,

My son was 18 last august.

technically you should pay until the end of the College term - indeed if you were paying via the CSA you would be paying until September
The decision you have to make is whether your ex will go to court to recover the June payment or not
Sorry not to give you better news - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Clare,

The wording on the court order is as follows;

Until each child shall respectively attain the age of 17 years or complete full time education, whichever shall be the later.

Does this mean September for my son as he will finish full time education on the 6th of june. Also that is the beginning of the school year and not the end.

Please also note on a personal level the court order was only in place to keep things legal, I was not forced to pay. I also insisted on paying more than twice the level the CSA were suggesting because that was what was needed for them to live.

Thank you very much for your replies.

Sorry for the Confusion.
I was simply saying that IF the CSA were involved then you would have to [ay until September
Since they are not you only have to pay until the end of the term - usually the end of June
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Clare,

One more follow up.

Just to clarify. Are you saying that as the order is set out in monthly payments if the end of his education falls into one week of the following month then the full month should be paid as the payments should not be split.

This is essentially what I am trying to get clear in my head. My ex wife is expecting the payments to stop shortly. I just do not want to cause aggro for the sake of a week.

That hopefully is my last question.

Thank you very much.

In general terms payment should continue until the end of the college term whenever that should be
If it is in July then technically you should pay until then
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years