Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Was living with my partner and we have separated. We were traditionally

Was living with my partner and we have separated. We were traditionally married but not legally. I am nowtrying to sort out my finances with student finance england. They want a letter to show the date that my partner moved out and the letter should be signed or witnessed by a solicitor. Have rang aroubd and most solicitors are saying they cant provide such a service. Where can I get such a letter from?

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

Would I be correct to presume that you know the precise date your partner moved out please?

Customer:

Yes I know the date he moved out.

Joshua :

Thank you. I have encountered this request from the Student Loan Company before. No solicitor will be willing to write such a letter because they will have no way to confirm the date.

Joshua :

Instead you can consider making a statutory declaration as to the date your partner moved out.

Joshua :

A statutory declaration is a sworn statement by you given on oath as to the date your partner moved out and is accepted as a sworn affidavit. There are severe penalties for swearing a false stat dec including custody hence why such evidence if given such high regard. This was the approach was accepted by SLC previously.

Joshua :

A stat dec can be prepared by a local solicitor for you - it is a very simple declaration. It needs to then be taken to an independent solicitor for swearing and can then be sent to the SLC with a covering letter

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?

Customer:

No well understood. What charges do I encounter in doing so and how long does it take?. The independent solicitor, where do I get one.

Joshua :

Any solicitor locally can prepare a statutory declaration for you. He is likely to charge around £100 + VAT +/-

Joshua :

Once prepared, you take the stat dec to any other local solicitor to swear which will cost £5. It is then a sworn statutory declaration and can be sent to the SLC.

Joshua :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Joshua :

Are you happy with the information I have provided to you above or is there anything above I can clarify for you any further?

Customer:

Are you able to do the letter for then will dobthe seearing locally?

Customer:

Are you able to do the letter for me ?

Joshua :

Do you mean prepare the statutory declaration?

Customer:

Yes please if possible

Joshua :

I am happy to prepare the same for you however would need to ask for an additional fee to do so. A high street solicitor would be likely to charge £100 + VAT at least. If I were to offer to prepare one for £40 would that be acceptable?

Customer:

Yes that would do. What info do you want me to provide?

Joshua :

Thanks. We will need to switch into a question and answer format for me to do this as it is not really possible to use chat to post documents.

Joshua :

There should be some smiley faces for you to provide a rating and then add a bonus payment. If you are happy to do so would you kindly submit a rating for my service to date and add a bonus amount of £40. I will then prepare the statutory declaration for you.

Thanks. My email is pearljaATemail.com where "AT" is an @

If you would kindly drop me an email I will email you back to confirm what I need to prepare the document

My apologies I realise I have given you the wrong email address. My apologies. The correct email is pearljaATinbox.com

I look forward to hearing from you.