Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Was living with my partner and we have separated. We were traditionally

Customer Question

Was living with my partner and we have separated. We were traditionally married but not legally. I am nowtrying to sort out my finances with student finance england. They want a letter to show the date that my partner moved out and the letter should be signed or witnessed by a solicitor. Have rang aroubd and most solicitors are saying they cant provide such a service. Where can I get such a letter from?
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

Would I be correct to presume that you know the precise date your partner moved out please?

Customer:

Yes I know the date he moved out.

Joshua :

Thank you. I have encountered this request from the Student Loan Company before. No solicitor will be willing to write such a letter because they will have no way to confirm the date.

Joshua :

Instead you can consider making a statutory declaration as to the date your partner moved out.

Joshua :

A statutory declaration is a sworn statement by you given on oath as to the date your partner moved out and is accepted as a sworn affidavit. There are severe penalties for swearing a false stat dec including custody hence why such evidence if given such high regard. This was the approach was accepted by SLC previously.

Joshua :

A stat dec can be prepared by a local solicitor for you - it is a very simple declaration. It needs to then be taken to an independent solicitor for swearing and can then be sent to the SLC with a covering letter

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?

Customer:

No well understood. What charges do I encounter in doing so and how long does it take?. The independent solicitor, where do I get one.

Joshua :

Any solicitor locally can prepare a statutory declaration for you. He is likely to charge around £100 + VAT +/-

Joshua :

Once prepared, you take the stat dec to any other local solicitor to swear which will cost £5. It is then a sworn statutory declaration and can be sent to the SLC.

Joshua :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Joshua :

Are you happy with the information I have provided to you above or is there anything above I can clarify for you any further?

Customer:

Are you able to do the letter for then will dobthe seearing locally?

Customer:

Are you able to do the letter for me ?

Joshua :

Do you mean prepare the statutory declaration?

Customer:

Yes please if possible

Joshua :

I am happy to prepare the same for you however would need to ask for an additional fee to do so. A high street solicitor would be likely to charge £100 + VAT at least. If I were to offer to prepare one for £40 would that be acceptable?

Customer:

Yes that would do. What info do you want me to provide?

Joshua :

Thanks. We will need to switch into a question and answer format for me to do this as it is not really possible to use chat to post documents.

Joshua :

There should be some smiley faces for you to provide a rating and then add a bonus payment. If you are happy to do so would you kindly submit a rating for my service to date and add a bonus amount of £40. I will then prepare the statutory declaration for you.

Joshua, Lawyer
Experience: LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. My email is pearljaATemail.com where "AT" is an @

If you would kindly drop me an email I will email you back to confirm what I need to prepare the document

Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
My apologies I realise I have given you the wrong email address. My apologies. The correct email is pearljaATinbox.com

I look forward to hearing from you.