Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

How does one go about changing ones name?

How does one go about changing one's name?
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

Is this your own name please? If so are you over the age 18?

Customer:

no it's an enquiry for my god daughter aged 16.

Joshua :

Joshua :

Technically she needs her parents consent for her to change her name but the court will grant consent to a child over the age of 16 to change her name so the requirement for parental consent is typically dispensed with and she can apply in her own right.

Joshua :

There is no specific requirement for any special procedure to change ones name in English law and it is enough technically to simply start using a new name but in order to obtain new ID documents which we all need in practice she will need to evidence her change of name by way of Deed Poll.

Joshua :

A Deed Poll is a formal deed declaring that she gives up and renounces use of her former name and from the date of the Deed will use her new name and wishes to be known by that name.

Joshua :

Once this is signed her name is XXXXX XXXXX she can use this document to change names on things like banks, passports etc.

Joshua :

A Deed poll can be prepared by a solicitor or an online service such as http://www.deedpoll.org.uk/

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX great.

Joshua :

A pleasure. If I can assist any further as the situation develops please do no hesitate to let me know.

Joshua :

If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with though please reply back to me though.