13262538

Hi, I dont know if this is the correct category. My dad

Hi, I dont know if this is the correct category.

My dad has suffered from dementia for 15 years. My mum has since that time been his primary carer, as well as working a full time job. We recently have been given 4 care home visits a day by the council in an effort to aid her, since recently he was badly ill and his conditioned worsened.

He is now belligerent and angry and my mum has had enough. He passed a competency test with social services recenlty and is also joint owner of the house. Social security wont look after him as he is deemed competent. What avenues has my mum got to put him in a home, as since he is deemed competent we cant force him.

The only thing I can think of is that she withholds care from him so they are forced to act. Sounds cruel but dad is not aware of wht he is doing or where he is, whereas my mum is painfully aware, and I believe she is close to a breakdown if the present situation continues.
It is certainly an option.
From all that you have said your mother needs a break - so tell Social Services she is away for the weekend and they will have to deal with your father.
I can only imagine how distressing this will be but there is no other option to protect your mother
However it is worth speaking to one of the Dementia Charities who may have experience of this
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

Apologies I accidently pressed the wrong button. Thanks for your advice so far but can you let me know what further information it is that you need?

Ben

HI
That was my typing error I am afraid - not other information is necessary - but I do know that you are not the only family to have had to face this awful choice so do speak to the Dementia charities