13262538

Hello. I am a joint owner of a property, myself and my husband

Hello. I am a joint owner of a property, myself and my husband are seperating and selling the property. On purchase of our original house, 9 years ago I put in £28k and he put in £50k. We signed a deed of trust for that property which meant if we seperated we would take out what we had put in, however we then went on to buy 2 more properties and didn't sign another deed. I supported him financially for the first 4 years of our partnership and then subsequently on average earnt approximately £5k a year more. We have been married for 4 years. My husband is now claiming from our equity which is in the region of £260K that he have a higher percentage. Do I have a claim that the equity should be split 50/50 or do I go forward with the original % adding profit from the purchase of our 2nd property?
How long have you actually been living together and are there any children involved?
What other assets and debts are there and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We've lived together for 9 1/2 years. There are no children. My income is £42k pea and my husbands is £32k. We have one outstanding debt of £25k which we have agreed to divide between us until the end of the term which is in 4 years.

Lynne
The fact that you are married means that the family court has the power to redistribute the assets in any way they think fit - and the Declaration of Trust has no force.
Given the length of the relationship between you and the relative financial contributions then it is unlikely that the court will move far from the normal starting point of 50/50
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details