13262538

Hi Clare My partners ex wife wants their children to go

Hi Clare

My partner's ex wife wants their children to go to the grammar school in the next town (1 hour each way on the school bus) and there are two good schools in the town where we all live. The children currently have access visits every other weekend and one midweek evening each week. What rights does my partner have in deciding where his children go to school?

Rona
Where do the children wish to go?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

The children are currently 8 and 9 and not due to go to high school until September 2015 and September 2016. The issue has arisen because the children's mother is already sending the eldest to a tutor after school to improve the child's chances of passing the 11+ entrance exam required to attend the grammar school. The children have not been to visit any of the schools as this premature. The oldest has said she wants to go to the school that all her friends will be going to but is also interested in the grammar school because she is told it is "better." As it is so early in the proceedings none of the friends are expressing an opinion yet and the likely hood is that the children's friends will all go different schools depending on catchment areas and personal preference. We are fortunate to have two good schools in the town. Both children are very sociable and have many friends not just a special best friend.

Obviously the children's wishes should be taken into consideration and the father is happy for the children to choose between the two schools in the town. What he would like to know is can he veto the out of town grammar school?

regards

Rona

This is a matter that the two parents need to discuss using Family mediation if necessary.
If no agreement can be reached then your partner can apply to the court for a specific issue order dealing with the matter and the judge will have the final say
The children will be consulted and it is likely that their wishes will be decisive
Please ask if you need further details