13262538

I married two years ago and have an 18 year old son from a

I married two years ago and have an 18 year old son from a previous relationship. I bought my property long before I met my husband, and it is in my name only. Is it possible to leave the property to my son rather than my husband in the event of my death?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX
What other assets are there and what would your husband do in the event of your death?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

There are no other assets at present.

I'm not sure what my husband would do in the event of my death, but he is very irresponsible with money and has alcohol issues.

My fear is he will sell the property and spend the proceeds leaving my son nothing.

Ideally, I wouldn't want my husband homeless in the event of my death as the property went straight to my son, but at the same time, want to protect the property until the death of my husband if I wasn't around. I'm not sure how I'd do this though, or even if it's possible.

The property is in my name only at present.

Kind Regards

Lesley

Your husband has Matrimonial Home Rights on the property - and if your Will makes no financial provision for him then he will be able to challenge this through the courts
So whilst you can do what you plan in your Will you MUST also give thought to and make provision for your husband.
It would be sensible to seek face to face advice on making the will from a local Estate Law Solicitor
I hope that this is of assistance please ask if you need further details