13262538

I am recently seperated. The mortgage is joint names. My ex

I am recently seperated. The mortgage is joint names. My ex is in the process of taking over the mortgate.Until this time I know I am resonsible to pay half of the mortgage. I also know I am responsible to pay child maintenance (as per government website calculator as guidance) my child will stay over night with me approx 2 nights per week. - But i need to know if am responsible to pay anything towards the bills ie water, electric, heating etc, which my ex seems to think I am. (as well as child maintenance) I am currently living with parents until ex has the mortgage soley as I can't afford to pay for any other accommodation until I am off the mortgage, as I am only earning £18,000
Can you please advise.
Were you married to each other and how old is the child?
What income do you each actually have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Claire . No we aren't married . Our daughter is 4 years old . I earn £18,000 my partner earns in the Region of £27,000 .
Not sure if the following is relevant but my partner inherited a substantial amount of money last year which she has tied up in bonds etc . I don't want anything to do with it but wondered if it was relevant with regarding the bills etc
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The property is worth in the region of £250.000 we put a large deposit down but there is no equity in it as we've only had it a year and a half . My ex's intention is to release some if her money to reduce the amount outstanding and take it on in her sole name - which I'm ok about because depending on whether I need to contribute to bills as well as child maintenance I can then try to find accommodation for myself
Hope this helps
How much was the deposit?
How much did you borrow?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Off the top of my head we paid approx £120,000 deposit . Is this relevant to whether or not I am liable to pay the bills ?
I am just checking that she is going to pay you the correct amount?
The fact is that not only do you NOT have to pay the bills, neither do you have to pay half the mortgage
Provided you are paying the correct Child Maintenance that is all that your ex can expect.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi - just So I am absolutely clear, please can I clarify that you are saying that i am not legally responsible to pay half the mortgage even though the mortgage , at present, is in both mine and her names .? If this is correct what is this based on ? Thank you for your time and assistance
So far as the mortgage company s concerned yes you remain liable - you both have "joint and several liability" - they can chase either of you for all of it
However since your ex has the privilege of living there - and you do not - it is reasonable for her to pay your half of the mortgage as a form of "occupation rent" - and if she wishes to remain in the property then she has to pay it