13262538

I have been married for 27 years

Customer Question

I have been married for 27 years and my husband has committed adultery and he has gone to live with his 'common law spouse'. Am I entitled to spousal maintenance? I have 2 daughters living with me 24 and 19(no maintenance required) but I pay all bills and struggling with finance etc.

What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is on £48/59k

Me £28k

How much is the monthly mortgage payment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No mortgage. the house belongs to my parents but we lived rent fee. my monthly out goings is £600 on basics (not electric). I use £70 a week on fuel to work and left with £60 a month. I have electric bill of £500 a quarter. I need car maintenance- tyres £90, Service Plus etc. Handy man to keep outside house/logs for fire chopped etc all cost. I feed the girls. Credit cards outstanding and him living rent free with her.

What is your monthly income?
Are your daughters working?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My income after deduction is £1600 a month. Daughter's work and they pay for their own things etc fuel car maintenance etc. One on £650 a month bring home the other £800.

Then I am sorry but no there is no liability for spouse maintenance in your case
Spouse maintenance is needs based and the difference in your incomes makes it a very borderline case.
Had there been a large mortgage bill then you might have been able to argue that he should pay half for the time being - but given the circumstances that you describe there is simply no basis on which the family court will grant it at this point
I am sorry - I know that this is not good news but I have to be honest with you
Please ask if you need further details