13262538

Step Parent adoption

Customer Question

Hi, I need advise on a step parent adoption. My daughters biological father has been absent from the time she was 2 months- she turns 8 this year. We have not had any contact or support financially from him. What is the procedure? He is on the birth certificate although we were not legally married- religiously married only. I got married 3 years ago to my husband now and we want to get him the rights of a step parent through adoption. Please advise. Thanks in advance.
Have you any way of tracing your ex?
Is he likely to agree to the adoption?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clare, I have not had any contact from him from the time he left. I only have the last known address from 8 years ago. I have no idea if he will or will not as he has not been involved with us at all since he left. My daughter has never seen or met him.
Luthfayah
The starting point is to contact the Adoption section of your local Children Services (Social Services) who will discuss the process with you.
Your ex will need to be traced so that his permission can be sought - but even if he does not agree then adoption COULD Go ahead if the Judge felt that adoption was in the best interests of the the child
Adoption would in fact give your husband the same rights as a Biological parent - if you simply want him to have parental responsibility as a step parent then it is possible to apply to the court for a step parental responsibility agreement instead
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details