Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

My wife left about two years ago. I live with our 12 year old

Customer Question

My wife left about two years ago. I live with our 12 year old daughter and my wife lives with her boyfriend around the corner. All very amicable and we share responsibility for our daughter. She spends 3/4 nights with me and 3/4 night with her mum. about twice a year I have to travel for work for one week or a couple of days and leave our daughter with her mum. Mum has started to get fed up changing her plans to meet my work even though I give lots of notice. She has suggested that we make thing more formal? What does she mean and where do I stand. I think my daughter would prefer to be with me but is too scared to tell her mum. I had my niece and new girlfriend visit last weekend and although our daughter was supposed to be with her mum on the Sat evening, she cried and said she wanted to stay with us. I texted her mum to ask if it was ok to send her over in the morning and all hell broke loose. Mum took herself off on the Sunday and left daughter with me. I would rather my daughter just lived with me but I do need support every now and again due to work commitments. I work from home and have done since my daughter was born.
How much notice do you get of the trips - and do you have any family locally who could assist you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I usually get and give at least a months notice. My wife's mother lives locally and is always friendly and willing to help. I have no family locally.

Have you spoken with your ex since the weekend?
What changes does SHE want to make?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. Our current arrangement is I have Daughter on Mon, Wed, Friday early evening and either Sat or Sunday depending on what other plans we have. I have no idea what changes she wants to make or what she means by formal agreement?

Have you considered a pattern where your daughter spends more consecutive days with you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Our Daughter is in a swimming club which means on Wed and Friday I have to take her as my wife does not finish work on time. I would like to try alternate weeks as it would make uniform and washing easier to manage. I don't have any weekly commitments and if I do go to any clubs I always do them every other week to allow for flexibility. We could try this and see how it goes.

Just a thought - you could have her wednesday to Saturday morning one week and Wednesday to sunday night the next?