13262538

My wife and I have been separated for three years . She lives

My wife and I have been separated for three years . She lives in the family home with our two children 8 years and 12 years . They stay with me and my new partner alternate Fridays and Saturdays , holiday with us every year . The children have settled in to this routine and are happy . She wants to Change it now to every other weekend which means I won't see them for two weeks as it is a two hour round trip for me to get there and I'm unable to get there in the week this is unacceptable to me . If I don't agree to her demands she's informed me I'm not going to see them at all , where do I stand ?
I am not sure that I understand the current pattern of contact - could you explain it further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have the children and pick them up Friday at 6 and return them home at 6 on sat ,and the following week i pick them up Saturday at 5 and return them home Sunday at 6 . Alternate weeks so it works out we should both get two Saturdays off a month .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have the children once a week overnight either Friday to Saturday or Saturday to Sunday so i see them every week can she stop me from seeing them ?
Would a longer weekend not be better for the children?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would only have contact with them every other weekend and two weeks is too long not seeing them ,me and the children like to see each other every week
has your ex said why she wishes to change the arrangements?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No reason for it she keeps changing the arrangements . I have them some weekends if she's got plans ive had them last two bank holidays and she is going away June and I'm having them then . She said that if I don't pick them up Friday and have them all weekend i can't see them at all .
The law says that children are entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary - so there is no way that you will lose contact totally at all
It is expected that the arrangements are agreed between the parents - using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk) if necessary.
If you cannot agree then an application needs to be made to the court for the court to decide.
It is hard to predict what the outcome would be if that happens
At present neither parent has a full weekend with the children and as the children move into teenage years they will also wish to have time to themselves
It would be best to use a mediator who is also trained to work with children so that their wishes can be heard as that will be your strongest argument if the matter goes to court
You can read more on these websites
http://theparentconnection.org.uk/
https://www.cafcass.gov.uk/media/168195/cb7-eng.pdf
I hope that this is of assistance -please ask if you need further details