13262538

Hi there I have recently found out that my real father has

Customer Question

Hi there I have recently found out that my real father has died 2 years ago I never new him or met him but a year after his death his mother got in contact with me and was saying she wanted a DNA test doing which i am fine with this has now been going for nearly a year and my supposed grandmother still hasn't sorted DNA test out every time I contact her she seems to be stalling me now my real father never married and I am the only child i am led to believe that I would be next of kin should this be proven that I am his child ?? This makes me wonder is there something grandmother is hiding I have never met my father in 27 years so I wouldn't know if he had any money or houses or anything but to be honest it's not that I am bothered about I just want to know what my grandmother got in touch in the first place for ? She obviously doesn't want a relationship if it's nearly a year and still no DNA... What can I do ??? I mean legally can I find out if there was anything that should be mine and is this why this lady is stalling ?? Also then can I force this DNA ???
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
You can check whether or not your father left a Will; or if there were assets in the Estate that required dealing with , by applying to the Probate Registry to see if either a Grant of probate or Letters of Administration were issued.
The process is described here
https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/searching-for-probate-records
If there were Letters of Administration then there were assets but no Will and in that case of you are his biological child then you have a claim on his estate.
If that is the case then you can apply for DNA testing of any samples that there are
As t why she made contact but has now stopped it may simple be that she is still coming to terms with the loss of her son and is not as emotionally capable of going ahead with the testing as she thought she was
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details