13262538

My husband set up his own business and I was named as a shareholder

My husband set up his own business and I was named as a shareholder and paid quarterly dividends. He has now disbanded his business , without telling but I know there was a large sum of money in it when it disbanded. Subsequently we have decided to separate, nothing to do with the business, but he says the money connected with the business ( £80k) is nothing to do with any financial settlement. Is this correct
How long have you lived together and are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
23 years and 2 children, 14 and 11
Thank you for that
No he is not correct
ALL assets that you each have form part of the Matrimonial assets for consideration in the event of a dispute and he will have to account for these funds - and possibly share them with you
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I ask something else - he says that any savings that are in my name are still his because he earned more money and without his money I would not have been able to have any savings. Is this correct?
In a nutshell he is saying he was the main breadwinner and as such he gets to keep the majority of any settlement because I worked part time and didn't contribute as much. At this rate I will be left with nothing but he says that is my problem because I have made the decision that the marriage is over. Is this right?
He could not be more wrong
The starting point for division of ALL the assets is 50/50 and that is the least you will get.
Indeed you may well get more to reflect the fact that you have compromised your career to care for the children
clare
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My husband has asked for details of all ISA's and savings that I hold, including actual account numbers. I am not comfortable sharing this information but don't want to antagonise him as he can be nasty. I have suggested we use a mediator and let them guide us. He refuses to do this until I hand over all information. Is this reasonable?
No it is not reasonable - that is exactly the information that is disclosed within mediation and not before
You can certainly give him figures - assuming that he also gives you all his figures - but no statements until you are in Mediation