I need to respond to a draft divorce petition before 27th of this month I am not contesting but do not agree to the liabilty of payng costs can you tell me an appropriate response before the petition is filed to the court
this is how i responded initially
I am responding to you letter dated 6th May 20014 ref: CSX01/CXS01/212701.
I will require more time to respond in detail to the Draft Divorce Petition, as I am a lay person and not familiar with the correct procedures to follow in these matters.
I am currently seeking to instruct a solicitor to facilitate a response and will require a further 10 days from the 13th of may 2014 to enable me to find financial resources to pay for legal representation.
Please can you acknowledge the receipt of this email as proof of a response in this matter.
I believe they are waiting until the 27th of may to file the petition.
I am unsure how to respond correctly, I do not intend to contest the divorce 9 for unreasonable behaviour) but believe that I should not be liable for costs, and am concerned that the prayer part is asking for maintenance etc , is it wise to state that i do not agree with costs and paying maintenance etc in my response to this.
Please advise if possible.
I am not objecting to the grounds iI would like to move forward with the process but would like to state in my response and make it clear that whilst I do not admit or accept the allegations made in the Petition, I accept the marriage has broken down but would like to make it clear that I am not prepared to meet the petitioners court costs and am also concerned about all the boxes ticked in the prayer part of the petition ( all of them are marked ) asking for maintenance and support etc
we arecurrently going to mediation and I am asking for 50% care of our children so maintenance should not be payable in this instance
Yes please see inserted screen grabs of draft petition
thankyou for you advice
one more point if I respond in the manner you suggest and the petitioner continues to file the petition without agreeing to remove the claims for costs what would be the next course of action for me