13262538

My aunt has left my uncle & taken my cousin to her mums. That

Customer Question

My aunt has left my uncle & taken my cousin to her mums. That happened yesterday. Today she came & took the majority of her things. Can he change the locks on his house?
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first
I am afraid that your Aunt is entitled to return to her matrimonial home whenever she wishes - so if he changes the locks then she will be entitled to demand a key
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. She is also refusing to let my uncle speak to his son on the phone. She's making threats about taking everything he has & doesn't seem to want to be civil. My uncle is really upset because it's all happened suddenly & his 5 year old son has been yanked out of the only life he's known. She's already been telling him lies about our family. Can he go to her mums home?
It would be unwise for him to go to the house - it is likely to lead to the police being called and matters getting worse
However the law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary
Your Uncle should arrange to discuss matters with your Aunt using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk)
IF she refuses or it is not successful then your Uncles can apply to the Court for a Child Arrangement Order setting out when he sees the child.
he can read more here
https://www.cafcass.gov.uk/media/168195/cb7-eng.pd
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It will most likely need to go to court. How long is it likely to take as my aunt is likely to keep my cousin away from him till she is given a court order.
That depends on how swiftly your Uncle arranges Mediation