13262538

Hi..my 18 year old daughter moved into a property 6 weeks ago

Customer Question

Hi..my 18 year old daughter moved into a property 6 weeks ago with her 23 year old partner and their 7 month old daughter. The property was purchased by his parents as an investment. My daughter and her partner pay an agreed rent to the parents, there is no tenancy agreement just verbal. Over the past 6 weeks he has put her out and my granddaughter 3 times due to disagreements/arguments, taking her key off her each time and stating that the flat is his Mum & Dad's and that she has no rights. What rights has she???
Does she wish to end this relationship now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clare
No she doesn't intent to leave him and at the moment she is not aware I have contacted you.
I just want to know what her rights are if he does this again. My husband and I intent to talk to his parents as we're sure they don't know anything about his behaviour. He is becoming verbally aggressive and controlling towards her and on occasions has pushed her but until she decides she's had enough of the treatment, my hands are tired. I don't want to be cut out so I have no contact with her or my granddaughter...
The fact that the property is owned by his parents limit her options and much depends of course on the approach that his parents, the owners of the property, will take.
Legally however all that she is entitled to is "REASONABLE WRITTEN NOTICE " to leave - at least 28 days - with 56 being more reasonable given that there is a baby involved.
If he forces her to leave again she can obtain an Occupation Order allowing her to live there without him until she is able to rehouse herself and the baby
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details