13262538

My Ex wife receives Child maintenance from me which I am fine

Customer Question

My Ex wife receives Child maintenance from me which I am fine to do and have no problems, however, my daughter is 16 and from September will be attending a college full time and living away from home. She will be staying either 5 or 7 days a week at the onsite accommodation for which there is a fee. Then there are food costs etc... My ex wife is expecting more money from me to pay for this accommodation and food, my thoughts are that i am already paying for accommodation and food with her so if i pay for the college side of it i shouldn't pay her or i'm paying everything twice. If she goes home on weekends which she would do every now and again she would probably take it in turns with myself and her mum. We have never got the CSA involved it was a mutual agreement. I'm not sure what to do.
R
How much do you earn gross an dhow much do you currently pay?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thats ok. I earn 48k gross and pay £400 per month.

How many nights a year is it likely that your daughter will spend with you - more or less than 52?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She will probably spending most of the time at college and going to either her mums or mine on some weekends. I can only estimate that it would be about even for the time she decides not to spend at college. Guessing it may be around the 52 nights with each of us in a year. very much guess work though.

You are correct - if you pay for college as well it is a double bite and you are not expected to do it.
Using the CSA guidelines you are slightly underpaying - by £80 or so - so possibly if you wish to remain amicable you could offer say an extra £100 towards these extra costs
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would I have any choice of stopping payments but paying for college fees and food etc? I dont feel i should be paying for my daughter to live with my ex when she is not and she would be with us both equally. I'm not trying to get out of it and i have always paid for much more that i probably should ie if my daughter is with me we may by clothes she needs, shoes, just bought her a laptop for college,pay for ski trips etc etc but i do feel that it doesn't seem right.

Yes that would be an equally good option - so long as you hold onto the fact that the most that you can be forced to pay is £480 a month you and your ex can negotiate on how it is paid