tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with 9 years experience of family law issues.
73598664

Someone in my family has published a book and used my name

Someone in my family has published a book and used my name without me knowing Is this legal? Can I sue this person for doing this?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hi, thanks for your question. My name is Tony.

tdlawyer :

How have they used your name please?

Customer:

This person has used my name in the contex that I am her sister which I am not and used my full name as well in the book

tdlawyer :

Okay, have they associated the book name with you to demeane or ridicule you etc or done something like that?

Customer:

no but I'm not happy to have my name printed in any book without having been asked in the first place if I would mind

tdlawyer :

I understand. Okay. Well, the law doesn't cover this area in its own right, you have to fall back on established legal areas like defamation, breach of condifence, copyright and so on. What that means is that there is no legal restriction upon the use of your name in a book.

tdlawyer :

However, they must not defame you, such as saying awful things about you or say things which you may have said to others in confidence (the action being based on a breach of confidence).

tdlawyer :

Therefore, using your name is XXXXX XXXXX you can prevent, in much the same way that individuals the write biographies about other people, sometimes without their consent, are also not actionable.

tdlawyer :

I know it sounds odd.

tdlawyer :

Generally, people are free to use whatever names they like, so long as in the process, they do not break some other law.

Customer:

Thank you for your help and time

tdlawyer :

You're very welcome. Can I ask if you're happy with the service this afternoon please?

Customer:

I am happy to recieve the imformation not happy about having my name used thanks again

tdlawyer :

Thank you. Please do remember to rate the answer for me before leaving - thanks again.